Beauty surrounds us every day but how often do we stop to appreciate the beautiful moments? Likely, not as much as we could. Here are ten simply ways to make every day beautiful.
- Slow dance in the morning – Before the day begins, take time to tune in and connect with those you love most. Our family morning routine involves hugs, kisses and sometimes even slow dancing. I turn a morning hug with my husband in to a little slow dance session where we pause for a moment and connect with each other. These positive interactions set the stage for the day.
- Appreciate nature – We’re often stuck inside at work or at home but take a few minutes whenever you can to step outside. Stare at the sky, bask in the sunshine, and breathe in the fresh air. Look for ways to spend more time outdoors – try going for a stroll, planning a picnic or taking your workout to the park. Once a month, make time to enjoy the quiet beauty of the day before it begins or when it ends by watching the sunrise or sunset.
- Surround yourself with beauty – Buy yourself flowers or pick out a plant to brighten your space. House plants have a number of benefits including removing toxins from the air, increasing humidity and detering illness. Floral scents are calming and can help brighten your mood. Don’t wait for an occasion to treat yourself either – the time is now.
- Be still – The benefits of meditation have been touted by many but sitting still can be tough. Start small – set aside five minutes in the morning and evening to just be. Sit comfortably, focus on your breath and let your thoughts come and go.
- Feel beautiful – I went from never leaving the house without eyeliner and lipstick to barely having time to put lip balm on. But feeling beautiful is more than what you put on your face or body. It’s about taking a few minutes to pamper yourself each day. Whether it’s body brushing, a face mask, or painting your toenails – do something that makes you feel good.
- Eat mindfully – I have learned so much watching my four-year-old eat fruit gummies. She takes one out at, looks at it, tries to discern what it looks like before popping into her mouth. She finishes each piece completely before eating the next one. We may not have time to eat like that always, but we can try to slow down once a day and truly enjoy our food. Turn the TV off, put the phone away and eat. Just eat.
- Making time for something you love – Each day zips by with a cascade of responsibilities at work and at home but it doesn’t have to. Build in time each day to do an activity you love – reading, writing and yoga top my list.
- Be kind – Take time for kindness every day – whether it’s holding the door open for a stranger, sending a thoughtful text to a friend or cooking dinner so your partner doesn’t have to. Fill your day with moments of kindness.
- Listen to music – From Mozart in the morning, to jazz in the evening, and lullabies before bed, our home always has something playing. Music has been shown to lower stress, improve health and boost your mood. Have cranky kids? Put the dance music on and break out your signature dance moves and they’ll be smiling in no time.
- Hug and laugh it out – According to mindbodygreen hugging and laughing is extremely effective at healing sickness, disease, loneliness, depression, anxiety and stress. So make time for cuddles and giggles.
“Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.” — Robert Brault.
What makes your day beautiful?
If you’d like to read more…
- Why Kindness Should Be Your New Year’s Resolution
- 5 Health Benefits Of House Plants
- Scientists Find 15 Amazing Benefits Of Listening To Music